Well, as much as I tried to deny it, summer has officially/unofficially arrived in FL. I really can’t complain, we’ve had a glorious spring with near perfect running conditions most mornings. Last Saturday at our group long run however, the spring temps were missing replaced instead of the heat and humidity our area will embrace for the next few months. As most of the country warms up, I thought a little Top 5 warm weather running/exercising tips were in order:
5. Slow Down- research shows “comfortable” paces increase by as much as 30 seconds per mile as the mercury rises. Don’t be discouraged! You are not “out of shape”—summer is just a different type of training cycle.
4. Sunscreen- this is important year-round, but, if you’re like me, most of your “winter” runs were under the cover of darkness. Now that the sun rises earlier and sets later, keeping a tube/bottle of sunscreen in your spike bag is a must-do!
3. Shades- again, always important, but with more daylight the need to protect your eyes becomes more prevalent. As for the hat, in the winter I wear one to keep the heat in, but a good wicking hat also helps keep the heat OUT. I alternate between visors and hats during the warm months depending on the shadiness of my route. (shade=visor; sun=hat—no one likes a peeling scalp)
2. Sunrise- get out there early to beat the hottest temperatures. Yes, it’s more humid early in the morning, but it’s also a little cooler. In a place where the evening temps can be triple digits until well after 10pm, it’s important to adjust your schedule to incorporate some morning workouts to avoid heat exhaustion.
1. Sips—Hydration, Hydration, Hydration is the name of the game. Not just while you’re actively exercising, but throughout the day. In the South, I can break a sweat in the middle of August just walking to my car! I love using Nuun to replacing my electrolytes in delicious ways and without so much sugar that I end up with a headache or bouncing the walls.
Now, the good stuff…To help you #stayhydrated during the coming months, Nuun has graciously offered to give 1 reader 3 tubes of Nuun (1 each lemonade, watermelon and cherry limeade)! That’s right, a summer sample pack can be yours by entering a comment below telling me your best hot weather survival tip.
**Giveaway open to US residents only and ends on Monday, May 20th at 11:59am EDT. I’m a Nuun ambassador but all opinions, as always, are my own.